30 [10/8] (Box)
47  (EX)
90  (NEO)
255  (Box)
47  (EX)
9 [-40000] (NEO)
EXP On Kill
Sets total EXP to 50000 (NEO, Genocide)
10000 (NEO, Neutral)
Gold On Win
Check, Check, Cry, Burn, Yellow, Turn, Yell (Box)
Check, Boast, Pose, Heel Turn (EX)
Mettaton uses the Red Soul during the quiz show and beginning the battle after the Multicolor Tile Puzzle, and the Yellow Soul in all other circumstances.
- During the quiz show, if the protagonist answers incorrectly, Mettaton fires an unavoidable electrical beam that halves the protagonist's HP.
- After the tile puzzle, if the protagonist does not press ACT → "Yellow" right away, Mettaton drops boxes from above in a set pattern, with gaps in between.
- Note: All attacks do 6 or 7 damage per hit assuming no armor and LV 1.
Mettaton EX's attacks all consist of an arrangement of several objects:
- Copies of Mettaton's legs stick out from either side of the box and scroll downwards. They can be either moving inwards and outwards or not move; this can be controlled by shooting them, which stops the moving legs or causes the motionless legs to begin moving again.
- Copies of Mettaton's legs quickly emerge from the side of the screen. An exclamation mark appears in the area that they will appear in before this attack is used.
- Small rectangular Mettatons glide down on umbrellas. As they reach the bottom of the screen, they begin to toss hearts that are embroidered with the letter M: they will often toss a second set upwards just as they are leaving the bottom of the screen.
- Bombs marked with a plus sign travel downwards, which explode into plus-shaped blasts when shot with the yellow soul. The blast spreads slowly enough that it can be dodged by moving aside, as long as the bomb was detonated sufficiently far away. The explosions can destroy blocks and trigger other bombs.
- White squares marked with black circles travel downwards (and sometimes side to side), which are broken by a shot from the yellow soul.
- The Bullet Board contracts to four blocks wide, and lines of bombs and white squares with black circles (usually three bombs and one square or three squares and one bomb) travel downward, then a "rewind" button appears and they travel back upward in the same formation, with destroyed parts remaining destroyed.
- Long segmented arms resembling Mettaton's travel downwards, with sliding orange-yellow boxes along their length which, when shot, toggle the arm between retracted and non-retracted states (thus, they should only be shot once).
- Mettaton's heart emerges from the square on his waist and shoots lightning-bolt shaped projectiles either in a circular blast formation or single linear shots (which only happens when he loses all of his limbs). Firing at his heart ends Mettaton's attack earlier; not shooting his heart still causes his limbs to fall off due to being a scripted event. Contrary to popular belief, attacking Mettaton's heart this way does not count as FIGHTing him. When only his torso exists, his heart will fight for him for the rest of the battle until he is either killed or the ratings reach 10,000.
- A disco ball appearing from the top of the square projecting laser beams in either blue or white, which can be toggled in color by shooting the disco ball. They rotate at a variable pace: when blue, they count as blue attacks, when white, as normal attacks.
- The Bullet Board contracts to being only two blocks wide, and pairs of objects rain down, consisting of a bomb on one side and a solid white block on the other. The block can only be destroyed by shooting the companion bomb, and so it is necessary to shoot the bomb and quickly move under the block to avoid damage from the downward part of the explosion.
- Mettaton calls for a "union-regulated break" and the words "Happy Breaktime!" appear on the Bullet Board. This is a Gray Attack, and simply a free turn. It always comes after two two-width block / bomb attacks in a row, and Boasting works normally even though it is impossible to get hit during this turn.
Mettaton NEO uses no attacks.
Mettaton Quiz Show
Alphys is present during this battle and uses her hands to shape the correct answer's letter. If Alphys does not provide an answer, it means any is fine. Answering any questions wrong causes Mettaton to halve the protagonist's HP. Attempting to hurt Mettaton in this form does not work; the screen always displays "Miss."
To defeat Mettaton EX without killing him, one must survive until his arms and legs are blown off and achieve a show rating of 10,000 or more; if his limbs are not blown off, a show rating of 12,000 or more ends the battle. While the protagonist waits without acting, the ratings go down. The ratings stay at 3,001 at the minimum until the protagonist does something. Mettaton's limbs fall off regardless of whether or not his heart is shot, but shooting it ends his turn earlier. Ratings can be boosted in several ways:
- Getting hit gives a violence boost of 10 to 50 points.
- Shooting anything during Mettaton's turn.
- Using the FIGHT option to directly harm Mettaton results in him either biting his lip or sticking his tongue out while saying "Yeah," giving an Action boost of 300 points. Further attacks cause him to grin visibly but give fewer Action Points.
- Eating food sold by Burgerpants gives 300-500 rating points, but the Steak in the Shape of Mettaton's Face gives 700 points instead. Eating Junk Food gives the 'Eating garbage?!' penalty of 50 points. All other consumables have no effect.
- Equipping a different piece of armor gives 1,500 points as long that piece has not been worn previously during the fight.
- Using the Stick causes it to be thrown at Mettaton. He catches it in his mouth and ratings boost by 700 points. Repeating this action gives 1 point. Using the stick after Mettaton has lost his arms and legs instead gives 1,400 points.
- Using the Boast action causes ratings to shoot up during Mettaton's turn, but taking damage costs 100 points and stop the rating spike.
- Using the Pose action gives 100-1000 points, inversely proportional to the amount of health the protagonist has left.
- Using the Heel Turn action increases the aforementioned violence boost to 100 points. This is more of a risk as it requires the protagonist to get hit.
- Early in the battle, Mettaton asks the protagonist to write an essay about what they like most about him.
- Writing "LEGS" earns 350 points, which is the highest amount, being the 'correct answer.'
- Writing "TOBY" earns 300 points, Mettaton saying that Toby sounds sexy.
- Writing "DANCING" earns 250 points, Mettaton saying that he is self-taught.
- Writing "ARMS" earns 250 points, Mettaton commenting most people talk about his legs, but embrace them for their writing anyways.
- Writing "VOICE" earns 200 points, Mettaton commenting that he has the voice of a siren.
- Writing "HAIR" earns 200 points, Mettaton saying that he uses metal hair gel.
- Writing anything that does not meet any requirement earns 100 points.
- Writing certain words like "fabulous," "beautiful," "radiant," and "personality" make Mettaton comment on them.
- Writing nothing earns 80 points. Mettaton is not surprised that the protagonist is speechless.
- Writing certain swear words results in the loss of 150 points, which causes Mettaton to exclaim that the show is family-friendly.
- Writing a word that Mettaton deems insulting prompts him to tell the protagonist that this is an essay about him, not them.
- Writing a lot of random gibberish and letters with no sense results in Mettaton being impressed that the protagonist wrote so much about him, even though he does not understand what they said.
If Mettaton EX is spared, he appears only as his torso and head when the game returns to the overworld view. This happens even if the protagonist ends the fight before his limbs fall off. However, if he is killed, he appears in his original box form in the overworld view but damaged.
For those who plan on killing Mettaton, methods that decrease ratings should be used, as the ratings may hit 10,000 before the protagonist kills Mettaton. Methods that decrease ratings include writing a curse word during the essay and eating Junk Food, so bringing a full inventory of Junk Food is advised. Waiting between turns also steadily decreases ratings. However, it stops decreasing after a certain point.
Despite claiming to be a human eradicator, Mettaton NEO does absolutely nothing. Any non-missing attack instantly kills him as he is scripted to take between 900,000 and 999,999 damage, no matter the strength of the attack. There is no way to spare Mettaton NEO, meaning that the point at which a Genocide Route cannot be aborted occurs before fighting him when the last random encounter is killed.
Contrary to popular belief, a weak attack does not revert to the Neutral Route. Only failing to depopulate Hotland and the CORE completely causes the game to revert to the Neutral Route.
Multicolor Tile Puzzle
- His metal body renders him invulnerable to attack.[Check, Quiz Show]
- His metal body STILL renders him invulnerable to attack.[Check, Dungeon, 1.001 patch]
- Seriously, his metal body is invulnerable![Check, CORE, 1.001 patch]
- Mettaton attacks![Encounter]
- Smells like Mettaton.[Neutral]
- The quiz show continues.[Neutral during Quiz Show]
- Screaming is against the rules.[Cry]
- You yell... But nothing happened.[Yell]
- This is probably what you'll do if things continue in this manner.[Burn]
- Your phone's [ [ ACT ] ] menu is glowing.[After Alphys calls, dungeon]
- You press the yellow button. The phone is resonating with Mettaton's presence![Yellow]
- Seems like a good time to turn Mettaton around.[After Alphys calls, CORE]
- You tell Mettaton that there's a mirror behind him.[Turn]
- Defuse the dog![Encounter the Dog Bomb]
- It's blissfully unaware of its circumstances.[Check Dog]
- The dog is still active![Neutral, after dog defuse has failed]
- Dog defused![After dog defusal succeeds]
- Defuse the basketball![Encounter the Basket Bomb]
- Even if you explode, you'll at least look good.[Check Basket Bomb]
- Defuse the present![Encounter the Present Bomb]
- Regardless, you'll have to write a thank-you letter.[Check Present Bomb]
- Defuse the game![Encounter the Game Bomb]
- You really should have rented it first.[Check Game Bomb]
- Defuse the script![Encounter the Script Bomb]
- Like all modern blockbusters, it's full of explosions.[Check Script Bomb]
- Defuse the extremely agile glass of water![Encounter the Extremely Agile Glass of Water]
- All things considered, it's an extremely agile glass of water.[Check Extremely Agile Glass of Water]
- Defuse the bomb![Encounter the Bomb]
- Defuse failed! Aim for DEFUSE ZONE![When defuse has failed]
- The bomb is still active![Neutral, after defuse has failed]
- Bomb defused![When bomb is defused]
- His weak point is his heart-shaped core.[Check]
- Mettaton EX makes his premiere![Encounter]
- Smells like Mettaton.[Neutral]
- Mettaton is saving your essay for future use.[After essay question]
- You say you aren't going to get hit at ALL. Ratings gradually increase during Mettaton's turn.[Boast]
- You posed dramatically. The audience nods.[Pose]
- Despite being hurt, you posed dramatically. The audience applauds.[Pose at less than half HP]
- Despite being wounded, you posed dramatically. The audience gasps.[Pose at less than 1/4 HP]
- With the last of your power, you posed dramatically. The audience screams.[Pose at extremely low HP]
- Mettaton has low HP.[Low HP]
- You turned and scoffed at the audience. They're rooting for your destruction this turn![Heel Turn]
- You eat the (Item). The audience loves the brand.[Eat Glamburger or Starfait]
- You ate the Face Steak. The audience goes nuts.[Eat Steak in the Shape of Mettaton's Face]
- You eat the Junk Food. The audience is disgusted.[Eat Junk Food]
- You throw the stick. Mettaton catches it in his mouth and winks.[Throw Stick]
- You used the Mystery Key. Mettaton pretends it isn't there.[Use Mystery Key]
- Dr. Alphys's greatest invention.[Check]
- Mettaton NEO blocks the way![Encounter]
- Stage lights are blaring.[Neutral]
- Using the debug mode to make Mettaton NEO spareable reveals he has two random attacks, which are Vulkin's lightning and the fire balls. Sparing or allowing him to attack a second time softlocks the game.
- Mettaton's bombs behave virtually identically to the bombs in Hudson's 2D Bomberman games.
- ↑Winning with 12,000 points – YouTube
- ↑Essay Response Screenshots
- ↑Essay Response Code
- ↑Undertale - Mettaton NEO Unused attacks? - YouTube
Start a Discussion Discussions about Mettaton/In Battle
Also known as
30 [10/8] (Box)
47  (EX)
90  (NEO)
255  (Box)
47  (EX)
9 [-40000] (NEO)
EXP On Kill
Sets total EXP to 50000 (NEO, Genocide)
10000 (NEO, Neutral)
Gold On Win
Check, Cry, Burn, Yellow, Turn, Yell (Box)
Check, Boast, Pose, Heel Turn (EX)
SO WHAT IF A FEW PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE?— Mettaton
THAT'S SHOW BUSINESS, BABY!
Mettaton is a robot with a SOUL and was built by Alphys. Initially poised as an entertainment robot turned human killing robot, Mettaton is later revealed to have only acted as such so that Alphys could rescue the protagonist, feel important and become closer to them. Mettaton is the sole television star of the Underground.
Mettaton originally appears as a gray, largely rectangular box with a grid of lights at the top, similar to the mechanism in Snowdin Forest used for Papyrus's Tile Puzzle. The grid of lights can change colors, and Mettaton uses these color changes in place of facial expressions. He has four dials along the bottom of his body, and the bottom, he has a single leg which ends in a wheel. He has two segmented robotic arms which end in white gloves.
After having the switch on his back flipped in a Neutral or True Pacifist Route, Mettaton transforms into Mettaton EX; a new body he specially requested Alphys make for him. In this humanoid form, he has black hair with a long fringe that seems to cover his right eye, pale "skin" and visible metal segments below and above his left eye.
He has a pink chest piece, a narrow metallic waist with a box contraption, and black shoulder guards above his segmented arms, which end in gloves. The chest piece has what appear to be a speaker and some knob or gauge, while the waist has two parts that seem to act as a locking mechanism that holds his "heart-shaped core," as they both lose white pixels during his "heart-to-heart" attack. His long black-clad legs end in pink high-heeled boots.
After being confronted by the protagonist on the Genocide Route, Mettaton transforms into Mettaton NEO, which resembles Mettaton EX, but has a more combat-oriented design.
His right forearm is replaced by what appears to be a cannon, pauldrons clad his shoulders, which are shaped like legs and are longer than his arms, and he has wings on his back. The soul on his waist points upwards in a more monster-like manner, and he has a heart shape engraved on his chest plate like Undyne the Undying. His hair on the right side is spiked out, revealing an entirely black segment of his face, with a sparkle or crosshair in place of his right eye.
Mettaton is a confident, charismatic, and charming TV host that loves drama, action, and violence. He lives for his ratings and adores performing. He supposedly strikes a pose when he does something wrong and makes time on his various shows to beat up "heel-turning villains." He shows a rather shallow appreciation for existence at times. However, despite his seemingly narcissistic personality, he deeply cares about the seemingly positive impact his show has had on the inhabitants of the Underground.
When meeting Alphys in the Lab, the protagonist is warned about a machine that she had created, Mettaton. Alphys describes it as a robot that was made to be a TV star but eventually had anti-human combat features added (presumably as a way of getting attention from Asgore).
Immediately after this warning, Mettaton bursts through the wall (noted to be only a few feet wide, indicating that he was lying in wait for the protagonist for some time) and forces the protagonist into a deadly quiz show.
Mettaton asks a series of multiple-choice questions that must be answered correctly within several seconds (the number says 30, but goes down approximately two numbers per second, giving only 15 seconds to answer). If incorrectly answered or not answered within the time limit, Mettaton fires an unavoidable electric shock that halves the protagonist's health. In spite of this, it is impossible to die during this quiz show. Alphys on the top right gives answers via hand motion; realizing this, Mettaton chooses to humiliate her by quizzing the protagonist on the identity of her unrequited love interest. Regardless of the protagonist's choice, Mettaton ultimately departs, concluding that the quiz show has lost all dramatic tension.
Cooking with a Killer Robot
As the protagonist journeys through Hotland, Mettaton entraps them in deadly pastiches of various media genres. First, he forces the protagonist to become his assistant in a cooking show where Mettaton is preparing a cake with a human SOUL as the main ingredient, and he attempts to kill the protagonist with a chainsaw to attain it. Alphys calls in as an interruption and suggests that some viewers may be vegan in an attempt to stop Mettaton from harvesting the protagonist's SOUL as an ingredient, so instead, Mettaton points towards a human SOUL-flavored substitute on top of a faraway cupboard.
However, the cupboard begins to shoot up from the ground rapidly, forcing the protagonist to use the jetpack feature previously installed on their phone by Alphys. They fly to the top and retrieve the substitute within a time limit set by Mettaton while he drops eggs, flour, and milk, all of which slow the protagonist's ascent.
- If the protagonist reaches the substitute within the time limit, Mettaton states, like all cooking shows, he had already baked the cake ahead of time before leaving.
- If they fail, Mettaton suddenly claims the show is on commercial break and refuses to kill them as there are currently no viewers.
Either way, he comments that he was foiled yet again by Alphys. Upon interacting with the substitute after this encounter, it shows the can was stuck to the table, so the protagonist would not have been able to get the substitute given the chance.
|Cooking Show Quotes|
Secondly comes a breaking news segment, in which Mettaton asks the protagonist to report on one of the several items within a room ( a dog, a video game, a movie script, a basketball, a present, and a seemingly normal glass of water), which all turn out to be bombs hidden by Mettaton. Mettaton then scatters the bombs around the area, and the protagonist is forced to find and defuse all of them with one of Alphys's phone installments before a larger bomb in the center of the room goes off.
- If the protagonist defuses all the bombs in time, Mettaton declares that the bomb now explodes in two seconds instead of two minutes.
- If the protagonist has not disabled all the bombs until ten seconds before the big bomb explodes, the time slows substantially.
- If the protagonist has not disabled all the bombs before time expires, Mettaton states that the protagonist failed to disarm them all within three minutes. However, even factoring in the slower passage of time through the last ten "seconds" of play, the total amount of time given to defuse the bombs still amounts to under three minutes.
Regardless of whether the bombs were defused or not, Alphys hacks the big bomb and disables it.
|Bomb Defusal Quotes|
During the news segment, a ticker at the bottom of the screen reports the following news.
|News Ticker Quotes|
UNDERTALE the Musical
Thirdly and finally, Mettaton traps the protagonist within a musical, where Mettaton sings about a forbidden love between him, a monster; and the protagonist, a human. He mentions how sad it is that they must be sent to the dungeon, before opening a trapdoor underneath them into a room with a colored tile puzzle. Mettaton announces that the protagonist must pass the colored tile puzzle within a set time before a line of flame comes at them from the side and burns them to death.
- If the protagonist manages to complete the puzzle, Mettaton deactivates the flames "knowing" that Alphys would have done so.
- If the protagonist fails, the flames draw near, only for Alphys to disable them.
- If the protagonist has stepped on a green tile, Mettaton reminds them that the tile signals a monster, which turns out to be Mettaton himself.
- If the protagonist has not stepped on a green tile, Mettaton repeatedly says "well" before acknowledging that the protagonist never stepped on a green tile, but still fights them.
Mettaton proceeds to engage the protagonist in battle after the tile puzzle. However, Alphys has one final installment on the phone she had given to the protagonist. This yellow button fires a projectile at Mettaton, which the protagonist can use in succession. Mettaton acts like he is defeated from such projectile and flees. If the protagonist does not activate yellow mode, Mettaton attacks with boxes until the protagonist has barely any health left.
|Multicolor Tile Puzzle Quotes|
End of CORE Encounter
After the protagonist reaches the end of the CORE, they are once more confronted by Mettaton. This time, however, Mettaton reveals that he had re-arranged the CORE and hired monsters so as to attempt to kill the protagonist legitimately. He states that Alphys had set up an extensive plan to self-insert herself into the story because she liked the protagonist so much and wanted to feel important by helping them. All of the previous threats from Mettaton were entirely fake, and everything was acted out, and used by Alphys to ally herself further with the protagonist; Alphys plans to intervene in the fight between Mettaton and the protagonist by "deactivating" Mettaton and thus appearing heroic to them. This time, however, Mettaton has made plans to prevent Alphys's aid, so that he could have an actual battle against the protagonist, and locks the door to prevent Alphys from entering. He explains that he wants to take their SOUL so that he can leave the Underground and become a superstar on the Surface. This way, Asgore cannot destroy the Barrier and re-ignite the war between humans and monsters, which would take a toll on his views.
Mettaton attacks the protagonist, but under the advice of Alphys, the protagonist tricks Mettaton into turning around so that they can flip the switch on his back to make him vulnerable. This switch transforms Mettaton into Mettaton EX and begins the true game show. By taking damage, using popular brand items, or using specific ACTs to raise the Ratings of the show to above 10 000 (or 12 000, if he still has legs), Mettaton stops the battle.
To his surprise, this is the highest rated episode he has ever had and begins to take call-ins from viewers. Several callers, the first of which is Napstablook, convince Mettaton that he is highly valued in the Underground, and is the primary (perhaps only) source of entertainment that many of the inhabitants have. He is moved by their passion for the show and decides that he no longer wishes to leave the Underground, as well as explaining that the protagonist is strong enough to defeat Asgore. He then deactivates, limbless – whether his limbs fell off during the battle or not – as he runs out of battery power; his body can later be found in the Lab where he is undergoing repairs.
If Mettaton EX is killed, he reverts to his old Mettaton form in the world, though visibly severely damaged. Examining the corpse warrants the description "It's completely trashed."
If the protagonist purchases the Mystery Key from Bratty and Catty, they can enter the house to the right of Napstablook's. The room is primarily pink, with a bed, a star patterned pillow, star-patterned wallpaper, a pink TV, a window, and a star imprinted rug. Through a series of diaries, the house is shown to be owned by another ghost known as "Napstablook's cousin" within the game (though Papyrus states that his headcanon name for him was "Happstablook"). After meeting Alphys, she designed a body for Mettaton to inhabit.
Using the Mystery key during Mettaton EX's fight prompts him to pretend "it isn't there."
True Pacifist Route
In the True Lab