Resident Assistant Cover Letter
Resident Assistants are responsible for the supervision of students living in a university campus. These undergraduates also help students adjust more easily to the academic community. Essential duties of a Resident Assistant include: interacting with residents, solving issues raised by students, referring students to resources, contacting emergency services during crisis, allocating monthly budgets, organizing events and activities, promoting a safe and supportive environment, inspecting rooms, asking for maintenance and repair services, and ensuring holiday coverage.
A well-written cover letter sample for Resident Assistant usually highlights the following qualifications:
- A good academic record
- Organization and planning
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving orientation
- Teamwork and being able to establish rapport with all kinds of people
- The ability to handle crisis situations
- Computer competences
- Multitasking and time management
Those looking to work as Resident Assistants can check comparable skills and experience in the example cover letter provided below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Resident Assistant Resume Samples.
Dear Ms. Bonnell:
It is with great enthusiasm that I am sending this letter and the enclosed resume in application for the Resident Assistant position available. As a reliable and personable individual with experience in various student support roles, excellent communication talents, and a commitment to helping residents overcome various challenges and difficulties, I would be a valuable asset to you in this role.
My background includes working collaboratively with fellow RAs to plan, implement, and monitor creative programs to foster ongoing student development and maximize positive resident interactions. With strong inner motivation, an outgoing and friendly demeanor, and superior organization talents, I am prepared to excel in this position.
Highlights of my qualifications include…
- Serving as an RA for two consecutive years at Bend River College prior to transfer to Davis King, providing overarching emotional, social, and academic support to 95 freshmen and sophomore residents.
- Creating and updating bulletin boards and electronic newsletters to inform students of upcoming campus activities and events.
- Providing key support in various offices through work-study positions with Bend River College—including the Registrar’s Office, Student Grades, and Academic Advisement—interacting with diverse domestic and international students and staff.
- Ensuring resident hall adherence to college-wide policies, procedures, and protocols.
With my strong background in resident/student support, as well as my demonstrated commitment to consistently enforcing school policies, I am well prepared to extend my record of service to Davis King College. I welcome the opportunity to discuss this position and my qualifications with you further. Thank you for your consideration.
Shelly J. Woodruff
Dear Ms. Steverson
I am interested in being selected as the 2014/2015 Sloan Hall Resident Assistant. I worked as a resident assistant last year and believe I understand how to model appropriate behavioural choices while ensuring the safety of the other student residents. I anticipate graduation in May 2015 with my Bachelor’s degree and wish to pursue a career as a residence director post-graduation.
I try to make new freshmen women feel welcome and included while they learn to navigate life as a university student. I try to organise fun activities for dorm residents and hold regular resident meetings. I go over the rules and procedures of the residence halls and regularly practice fire and other drills to make certain students understand how to safely evacuate in the event of an emergency.
My experiences at the university have helped me gain the skills needed to be a great and supportive resident assistant. I enforce the dorm rules to maintain a nice environment. I keep an open door and have a good listening ear.
I would love the opportunity to return as a Resident Assistant again this year. I’d like to interview soon. I’ll stop by your office to try to choose a time.